Inventory Self- I have always been interested in nonverbal language. After a few classes I started asking myself: What nonverbal message do I send off? One came to me immediately because my father (and most of my family) always point this out. "You always look like a miserable child!" I guess I wouldn't smile or give off friendly facial expressions as often as my family would like. My dad would always tell me to smile and of course being a teenager it could be the "cool thing" to express as much attitude as possible. I don't want to send off wrong signals to people to think that I am unhappy. Generally, I'm a happy, laid back person, usually not much bothers me. Usually, I receive complements from others (or I think they're complements) on how laid back, and easy going I am.
Change Self- What I would like to change is find a way to smile more often as my family would like but not too often that I end up looking like one of those freaky dolls in scary movies. Not only that I would like to just get rid of my "poker face" in general. I would like to find a way to display emotions evenly and to show when I am in an actual good mood versus when I am not.
Inventory others- First of all, people watching are one of my favorite hobbies, therefore, I am always looking at their nonverbal signals. Generally, I have noticed that people around campus have mostly a bland look, they aren't smiling, and they aren't frowning either. Unless, they are walking with someone or on the phone, then their facial expression has a little more life to it along the lines of smiling. Now, if we were off-campus at a party, generally more people are smiling more and there is a wider range of facial expressions.
Transact with others- Nonverbal communication is how we communicate with each other most of the time. After taking inventory of my own nonverbal behaviors, I realize that just smiling can make a huge difference and makes me more approachable compared to the "poker face".
With the reflective cycle, I am striving to make improvements and hope next time I go home my facial expressions are a lot better and I am giving off the right vibes on how I'm feeling.
Melissa -- nice job. You took one thing and followed through the whole cycle properly. Is there a middle ground for you? Not smiling like a Barbie doll all the time, but making sure your face evokes warmth? What would that look and feel like?
ReplyDeleteWould it be possible, please, to ask you to use a darker font, one that is a little easier on the eyes of an old woman like me? Thanks.